What is ESOS?
ESOS, the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme, came into force in July 2014. It requires all UK companies with more than 250 employees (or a turnover in excess of €50 million) to have an energy audit before 5th December 2015, and to continue to have them at least every 4 years.
The intention is that every audit will recommend cost-effective measures that will save organisations energy and money, and that saving money on energy bills will make business operations more efficient. The ESOS scheme and Greenhouse Gas Regulations will also contribute to meeting greenhouse gas reduction targets. It is estimated that cost saving opportunities could be worth in excess of £31 billion to the UK economy.
Why does it specifically affect transport operations?
Any companies which run a fleet of vehicles – from Sales Reps’ cars through to engineers’ vans and large good vehicles (lorries) need to review their fuel efficiency as part of the ESOS audit. The good news is that this area is often a “quick win” as small percentage point improvements in fuel economy can result in major savings. Many operators of large lorry fleets have already done this – but there are always areas of potential improvement which the ESOS approach can help to identify.
We work with Lead Auditors to provide expertise in the transport elements of ESOS. We also train environmental auditors on the transport aspects of the ESOS legislation. Where clients fall below the ESOS threshold we can provide similar services scaled down the individual company requirements.
Working with Lead Audit companies, we undertake an audit, compliant with BS EN 16247, covering the following areas:
- Vehicles and trailers – fleet list, specification and age profile
- Fuel – type, quantities, fuel storage and issue, data collection and use, fuel cards
- Drivers and training – fuel efficient driving, fuel management programme
- Route planning – manual or computerised, software systems, improvements
- Fleet Utilisation – recording, ways to improve
- Maintenance – O Licence requirements, in house or contracted out, tyre use, walk round check
- Telematics – trackers, speed limiters, tachographs, information provided
- Vans – full life costing, specification, fuel, driver training, route planning, recording mpg, trackers, maintenance, daily vehicle check, tyres, speed limiters
- Cars – green fleet, eco driving, specification, alternative fuels, driver training, recording mpg, telephone/video conferencing, tyres, pool cars, grey fleet
We produce an audit report and specific recommendations for each client.
- Fulfilling a legal requirement
- Generates savings, with a clear business case
- Demonstrates a commitment to the environment
- CSR advantages